Saturday, December 17, 2016

Songs: Kind, Lord Have Mercy, Trust In You; A Few More Thoughts on Trust; Psalms 51, 54




In some very real capacity, trust is also a choice. And even as much as I have fully trusted in Christ, He's yet bringing me to a conscious submission...in the midst of life, unfolding.

So, regardless the inconsistencies in my heart, I do and will choose to trust Him. Regardless. And, furthermore, I will trust Him to bring my heart into further and more complete submission to the truth of who He is, unto a full, conscious, abiding and unwavering and unreserved trust in Him. Period.

He can do this, and as much as it very likely is a lifelong work (as with all of sanctification, apparently), then still...ever having experienced the one moment of abject, total surrender, abject obeisance, and wholehearted giving over to the truth of who He is...He has yet been working that out in me, from the inside, out.

That moment was something else--an eternity in an instant.

But still to be walked into life. Still to bring thoughts into subjection. Still to bring the temptations of the flesh into subjection. Still to bring my heart of flesh into awareness, awakening to His love increasingly. Even unto loving others more truly, as in the light of awareness of truth.

So, I have trusted Him, I do trust Him, and even as much as He's allowed me to see the reticence that's yet lurking, I have and will and do give Him my heart completely, to fashion as He will.

And when doubts and fears arise, I trust He will bring them into continually more total defeat in the light of the truth of who He is. And unto all, as He would have it. In all spheres.

Because the work's not mine, even as much as He's called me to participate. Same as with us all.

So I do and will choose to trust, even being assailed and plagued by doubts and distresses and scoffing and fears and chaos and horrors and tragedies on all sides. Doubts, fears, distresses, persecutions, horrors will be what they may, but they will come into subjection to the truth of God's sovereignty and His good will toward those who love Him--by His Spirit, by His will, by His power overcome.

Increasingly.

For He is good and His mercies endure forever.

...

Psalm 51English Standard Version (ESV)

Create in Me a Clean Heart, O God

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

51 Have mercy on me,[a] O God,
    according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
    blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin!
For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is ever before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right[b] spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
    and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    and sinners will return to you.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
    God of my salvation,
    and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
    you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
    build up the walls of Jerusalem;
19 then will you delight in right sacrifices,
    in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings;
    then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Psalm 56English Standard Version (ESV)

In God I Trust

To the choirmaster: according to The Dove on Far-off Terebinths. A Miktam[a] of David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath.

56 Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me;
    all day long an attacker oppresses me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
    for many attack me proudly.
When I am afraid,
    put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
    What can flesh do to me?
All day long they injure my cause;[b]
    all their thoughts are against me for evil.
They stir up strife, they lurk;
    they watch my steps,
    as they have waited for my life.
For their crime will they escape?
    In wrath cast down the peoples, O God!
You have kept count of my tossings;[c]
    put my tears in your bottle.
    Are they not in your book?
Then my enemies will turn back
    in the day when I call.
    This I know, that[d] God is for me.
10 In God, whose word I praise,
    in the Lord, whose word I praise,
11 in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
    What can man do to me?
12 I must perform my vows to you, O God;
    I will render thank offerings to you.
13 For you have delivered my soul from death,
    yes, my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God
    in the light of life.

No comments: